Thursday 15 February 2018
1345 – 1440 Room: Plenary Hall 3
Topic: Content – opportunities and challenges
Sponsor representative: Lian Todd, Regional Manager, Library Sales (ANZ & SEA), SAGE Publications
Facilitator: David Feighan
- Jacqui Barton, Education Manager, HarperCollins, Australia
- Antoine Bocquet, Vice President Institutional Sales, Japan, Southeast Asia and Oceania, Springer Nature
- Kim Jardine, Managing Director, James Bennett Pty Ltd
- Terry Robinson, Senior Vice President, Managing Director – International, Gale Cengage
Please tag your comments, tweets, and blog posts about this session: #vala2018 #rt3
View the video of the presentation of the VALA2018 GigTV channel here:
The Big Question:
- What strategies should libraries adopt to remain relevant in the changing environment and how can we work smarter with local publishers?
The Content Roundtable will focus on the following questions with an eye to being relevant to the public and school library sectors as well as the higher education sectors:-
- How can libraries respond to the opportunities and challenges that arise from Amazon now operating in Australia?
- What does this mean for access to physical and online library collections?
- What is the impact on purchase models and on the preferences of library patrons to use the library collections or buy direct from Amazon?
- What ongoing impact will Google and Google Scholar have on how library patrons are accessing content? For example, the 2016 Elsevier annual report mentioned that transactional sales generate 27% of revenue.
About the Sponsor Representative and Guest Panellists:
- Lian Todd, Regional Manager, Library Sales (ANZ & SEA)Lian Todd has worked for SAGE Publications since 2011. She is currently the Regional Sales Manager for ANZ & SEA. Lian has a strong interest in IT, Libraries and Publishing.
- Jacqui Barton, Education Manager, HarperCollins, AustraliaI have the privilege of working with amazing HarperCollins authors and illustrators sharing their writings with teachers, students and the community.
My focus is quality literature and the development of resources to support the classroom teacher.
I am a secondary teacher with a MA Children’s Literature I guide teachers to a better understanding of literature, literacy and language.I work with schools, educational organisations and the community, facilitating literature and writing programs, sharing books and encouraging students in their own creative ventures.
I am dedicated to pursuing quality and enriching reading and writing experiences for young people, whether it’s as a reader or a writer. I am passionate about bringing a rewarding and memorable and lasting reading experience to children.
- Antoine Bocquet, Vice President Institutional Sales, Japan, Southeast Asia and Oceania, Springer NatureAntoine (Tony) Bocquet is Vice President Institutional Sales, Japan, Southeast Asia and Oceania for Springer Nature, based in Tokyo, and has over 20 years’ experience in the academic publishing industry in the Asia-Pacific. He also holds the position of Director, Nature Research Group, Japan, Korea and Southeast Asia, and is Managing Director of the Springer Nature companies in Japan. Tony joined Nature Publishing Group, now part of Springer Nature, in 2001 as Asia-Pacific Publisher.
He assumed the position of Vice President Institutional Sales in September 2015 after the creation of Springer Nature. He is responsible for all Institutional sales in the regions of Japan,South East Asia and Oceania, as well as the commercial operations of the Nature Research Group in Japan, Korea and South East Asia, including NPG’s advertising, sponsorship and custom publishing businesses. He also serves on the Board of Macmillan Language House, Springer Nature’s education business in Japan. Prior to joining Springer Nature, Tony was Managing Editor for Wiley in Tokyo between 1998-2001.
An Australian by birth, Tony holds a Ph.D. from the University of Tokyo (Physics) and is a graduate of Griffith University in Brisbane. He has lived permanently in Japan since 1994.
- Kim Jardine, Managing Director, James Bennett Pty LtdKim has worked at James Bennett, a leading supplier to the Public Library sector for over 9 years, with a core focus on ‘How do we assist libraries to adapt to an ever changing landscape?’
With a background in Information and Technology Systems, he has driven strategic changes within the company. The development of innovative and collaborative data and workflow solutions within James Bennett has seen many successful partnerships formed with both publishers and libraries.
- Terry Robinson, Senior Vice President, Managing Director – International, Gale CengageTerry Robinson has more than 25 years of experience in the educational publishing industry, 17 years of which were focussed on electronic content and provision . He is currently the Senior Vice President and Managing Director of Gale International where he has responsibility for all Archive and Primary Sources Publishing for Gale as well as all operations outside of the US.
Over the course of his career he has lived in Canada , the US, UK , Asia and currently resides in Dubai. Terry has a Bachelor of Arts degree with Honours from Carleton University, Ottawa Canada and an MBA from the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom.