29 April 2019
Keep Learning – View the Videos and Slides from TC19
Tech Camp 2019 recordings and slides from Short Talks and Workshops are all freely available on the VALA website Camp Sessions page. Select any session to access.
17 April 2019
TC19 Over and Out
As the dust settles on our second Tech Camp, a huge shout out from VALA to everyone who participated in, supported, taught at and contributed to a great 2 days. Here’s 10 of the highlights as shared on Twitter:
1. Playing with APIs – no coding required.
2. Cleaning messy data with a capable and charming guide. Sheer wizardry!
3. The true joy of learning amazing things.
4. Like a fork in a toaster! Having fun with Python.
5. Learning how to Bash things in a very cool workshop.
6. Running some party parrot in command line – https://twitter.com/i/status/1115851901143330819
7. Tools, tools, tools!
8. “Librarians are hardwired to share knowledge” – Cr Jackie Watts, opening address
9. Setting regular expressions loose on some filthy metadata
10. Avatars – TC19s funky little speaker gifts. Thank you to this skilful and generous bunch of Camp presenters.
Thank You Campers – can’t wait to do it all again in 2021!
TCOC19 signing off…
3 April 2019
TC19 SOLD OUT
We’re pretty excited to have a full house for VALA Tech Camp 2019 next week. The Sold Out sign is up, and we’ve closed registrations. (Any aspiring and now disappointed registrants should email the VALA Secretariat – email@example.com . We’ll hold your details in case of any late cancellations.) Thank you to the VALA community for your great support of this event.
Instructions for Delegates – have been emailed to successful registrants, and are also published HERE.
6 March 2019
TC19 Program Published
Details of Workshops and Short Talk sessions now available online and via download. Check out the program and register now – Workshop places filling fast.
27 Feb 2019
TC19 Diversity Scholar Announced
Meet the Tech Camp 2019 Diversity Scholar, Corinna Baerhold. A shout out and warm thank you to our scholarship partner, Linux Australia.
TC19 Welcomes Partners AARNet, Linux Australia and City of Melbourne
VALA is pleased to welcome back AARNet and Linux Australia, our loyal partners in Tech Camp 2017 and now returning in 2019. A warm welcome also to the City of Melbourne, providing valuable financial support through their Business Event Sponsorship program.
About VALA Tech Camp 2019
Returning to Melbourne in April 2019, VALA Tech Camp 2019 is an intensive, active, hands-on learning and sharing experience run for and by the people who code, build, teach and maintain technology for libraries and collections.
When: Wednesday 10 – Thursday 11 April 2019
Where: The Angliss Conference Centre, Level 5, 555 La Trobe Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
The 2-day program features hands-on Workshops and Short Talk presentations:
- 3-hour sessions in 2 parts: a two hour workshop, followed by an hour working on real projects using the skills just acquired.
- 3 Streams for The Navigator, The Storyteller and The Engineer and covering topics such as Open Refine, Using the Command Line and Python.
- TC19 registrants will be invited to nominate their preferred Workshop Sessions when the final program is published in early 2019. Workshop numbers will be capped.
- 9 twenty minute presentations, in 3 sessions, each followed by a panel Q&A.
- Hot topics include APIs, Open Data, Pandoc and more.
- See what the Short Talks delivered at VALA2017 – you can view them all HERE on the VALA Tech Camp 2017 Channel.
Camp registrations are strictly limited, with a maximum number of 100 places available. Workshop numbers will also be capped.
Tech Camp registrations are NOW OPEN. This event sold out in 2017, so those wishing to attend are encouraged to register early. (Please note there is no early bird period.)