VALA recognises that regional, rural and indigenous members of the Library community face additional barriers to participation in both library and technical events. The Diversity Scholarship is offered to individuals who in normal circumstances would not generally attend a VALA event or would struggle to attend due to financial or other hardship.
VALA Tech Camp 2023 Diversity Scholarship
Applications for the VALA Tech Camp 2023 Diversity Scholarship Awards will open soon.
The VALA Tech Camp 2023 Diversity Scholarship is open to individuals who meet BOTH of the following eligibility criteria:
- Any person who is currently working in a library, or is seeking entry to the library and information services industry;
- Hasn’t previously attended a VALA Conference or Tech Camp as a delegate;
In addition individuals MUST ALSO meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Any Australian person of Indigenous heritage;
- Any Australian person who resides in a regional, rural or remote location, including Darwin.
Awarding of the Scholarships will be made on the following criteria:
- The impact the Scholarship will have on the Applicant’s future career in the library and/or technology sector.
- The ability of the Applicant to share the knowledge they gain at Conference with their local library and/or technical community via an online communication channel, such as blog, podcast, social media etc, as demonstrated through previous work, volunteer or student experience
The application process is as follows:
- Complete the application form on the relevant VALA webpage
- Write a 200 word statement in the Application letter stating why you want to come, what you want to learn, how the community/organisation you serve will benefit from you attending
- Produce a 3 minute video explaining the above
Onsite (1 available):
- Up to $2,750 for flights, transfers and accommodation
- Conference Registration (value $600 at non-member price)
Closing Date for Applications: To be Announced.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Successful applicants can apply for reimbursement of travel costs (including transport, transfers and accommodation) up to a total of $2750.
- Successful applicants who attend the conference will be provided with their registration free of charge, but no financial support for any other expenses or loss of earnings they might incur.
Successful applicants will:
- Attend both days of VALA Tech Camp 2023.
- Provide a detailed account of all expenses incurred, and all supporting receipts.
- Act in keeping with VALA’s Code of Conduct and any other requirements for safe and inclusive participation.
- Share the knowledge gained at VALA Tech Camp 2023 with their local library and/or technical community via any form, such as blog, podcast, social media.
- Provide a 300-400 word post-event report, outlining key learnings and professional outcomes from the scholarship opportunity (for use in publications and reporting by VALA)