VALA – Libraries, Technology and the Future Inc. is an independent Australian based not-for-profit organisation that actively supports the use and understanding of information technology in libraries and the GLAM sector. In 2018, VALA celebrated its 40th anniversary.
Through its dynamic and professional network of information technology practitioners, VALA offers wide and innovative professional development opportunities, conferences, events, scholarships and awards for its members and friends, most significant of which are:
- The peer-reviewed VALA Biennial Conference is widely recognised as the premier library and information technology conference within this region. VALA2020 (Melbourne, February 2020) will be the 20th Biennial Conference. The treasure trove of papers and presentations from all VALA conferences is a valuable and unique record of the development of library IT, and it is freely available in the Conference section on this web site.
- VALA Tech Camp is an intensive, hands-on learning and sharing experience run for and by the tech-savvy people who code, build, teach and maintain technology for libraries and collections. Tech Camp runs in the non-Conference years.
- VALA Events run 4-5 times a year to share and discuss the latest in cutting edge information technology trends. Open to all, VALA Events include regular webinars to break down barriers for participation, particularly for those working in regional and remote areas. Anyone working in the information industry is welcome to attend. For more information on future and past VALA events see the Events section on this web site.
- VALA funds a number of Diversity Scholarships to address barriers to participation by regional, remote and indigenous members of the library community in both library and technical events. For more information, refer to the Awards section of this web site.
- VALA recognises and celebrates excellence within the library and information technology community via the VALA Award, and the prestigious Robert D. Williamson Award. For more information, refer to the Awards section of this web site.
With the support of its members, sponsors and partners, VALA remains fully independent and self-funded. New members are always welcome - see our Membership section for details.