Call for Reviewers
In an international EOI process, VALA2020 is seeking skilled people interested in the important role of independent reviewer for the VALA2020 conference papers.
Every paper presented in the Concurrent Sessions at VALA Biennial Conference has been peer reviewed by at least two reviewers in a single-blind review process, and those that meet our standards are awarded the “Peer-Reviewed” logo.
Historically, VALA conference papers have been of 5,000-6,000 words; in keeping with changing academic publishing practices, this was changed for VALA2020 to 3,000-4,000 words.
VALA2020 Review Timeline:-
The full paper review process will get underway in August 2019 for completion by late November, and the key periods for reviewers are highlighted as follows:-
- 23 August: Deadline for submission of papers
- 26 August – 10 September: Version 1 Papers distributed to at least 2 reviewers, reviewers asked to complete the task within 3 weeks of receiving the papers.
- 9 September – 1 October: All first reviews due.
- 30 September – 11 November: Version 2 Papers redistributed to original reviewers; read, rate and comment within 2 weeks of receiving revised paper/s.
- 24 November: Final date for all reviews
It is possible that a small number of papers may present the opportunity to commence the review process early, or the need to complete it late. These will be discussed and negotiated as exceptions and as required with individual reviewers. In most cases, the timeline above will be honoured.
VALA’s aim is to distribute papers evenly amongst reviewers, and according to each reviewer’s areas of skill.
How to Register your Interest:
If you are interested in being considered for the review panel, we would like you to do the following:
- Consider the Review Timeline above and ensure that you are available to participate in the review process between August and November 2019.
- to access the Reviewing Skills Form and complete all sections, to help with gathering information about your skills (this should take around 10 minutes). Even if you have reviewed for VALA before, we ask that you please complete this task; skill areas and contact details change and it is important that we have your current details.
- Complete the online process ASAP and no later than 30 June 2019.
Please note that this is an EOI process, with no guarantee that we will allocate papers to all those who apply; every effort will be made to achieve best match between papers and reviewers, equity of workload and to avoid potential conflict of interest.
Guidelines will be provided to reviewers upon allocation of papers and will also be available on the VALA2020 Website.
Some key aspects of the reviewer role are to:-
- Provide valuable feedback that will guide authors to improve the quality of their final paper
- Support the development of leading-edge papers that will generate discussion and debate
- Assess and rate papers on their content, relevance and presentation
Please note that reviewer anonymity to the authors will be maintained throughout the review process.
Enquiries can be directed to the VALA Secretariat firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 61 03 9844 2933.