To help fulfil its aims VALA grants the following awards:
- The Robert D. Williamson Award - Awarded biennially to an individual or organisation who, in the opinion of the judging panel, is currently making an outstanding contribution to the development of information technology usage in Australian libraries and is positively and significantly influencing development in information technology usage within libraries.
- The VALA Award - made biennially, is presented to the Australian library or information centre judged to have made the most innovative use of information technology during the previous two years.
- The VALA Diversity Scholarship is offered to individuals who in normal circumstances would not generally attend a VALA event or would struggle to attend due to financial or other hardship. New in 2017, this award has replaced the VALA Travel Scholarship and is offered specifically for either VALA Tech Camp or the VALA Conference.
- The VALA Student Awards - Each year, the VALA Student Award is presented to one student from RMIT University and one from Monash University, in recognition of outstanding achievement in postgraduate library and information management courses.
Award Winners 2017
The 2017 VALA Tech Camp 2017 Linux Australia Diversity Scholarship recipient is:
- Nathan Sentance from the Australian Museum