VALA - Libraries, Technology and the Future Inc. is an independent Australian based not-for-profit organisation that aims to promote the use and understanding of information technology within libraries and the broader information sector. VALA also offers its members access to a dynamic and professional network of information technology practitioners. See our membership section for details.
All VALA's activities, events, and member services are self funded, we receive no outside funding or finanical assistance.
In 2008 VALA celebrated its 30th anniversary under the theme of 30 years of looking forward.
To achieve its aims:
- VALA presents the largest fully peer-reviewed library technology conference in Australia. Held every two years in Melbourne, the VALA Biennial Conference is recognised as the premier library and information technology conference within this region. The conference attracts delegates and suppliers from across Australia, New Zealand, Asia, and beyond. For more information on future and past VALA conferences refer to the Conference section on this web site.
- VALA also holds regular general meetings to share and discuss the latest in cutting edge information technology trends. Open to all, the VALA general meetings represent a great way to stay up to date and build your professional network. Anyone working in the information industry is welcome to join us at these meeting. For more information on future and past VALA general meetings see our calendar as well as the General Meeting section on this web site.
- VALA makes freely available the papers and presentations from our past conferences and meetings. This repository represents the largest Australian based collection of peer reviewed and authoritative papers relating to library IT freely available on the web.
- VALA funds a Travel Scholarship to enable suitable persons to travel overseas to examine and report back aspects of library technology. For more information on our travel scholarships, as well as information on past VALA travel scholars, refer to the Scholarship section on this web site.
- The VALA Award, and the VALA Student Awards, recognise and celebrate excellence within the library and information technology community. The highest award VALA can bestow is the prestigious Robert D. Williamson Award. This award is bestowed biennially to an individual or organisation who, in the opinion of the judging panel, has made, or is making, an outstanding contribution to the development of information technology usage in Australian libraries and is positively and significantly influencing development in information technology usage within libraries. For more information on the VALA awards refer to the Awards section of this web site.